I’m always looking for new side dish recipes – or new ways to amp up old ones. Usually green beans get a bit of butter, topped with some parm and done – quick and easy. But I had a few extra bits laying around last time, and the tasted so good we I N H A L E D them! Since I often wing it in the Kitchen, I quickly jotted down the ingredients I used before they were long forgotten.
If you know my cooking style, you know I’m usually just throwing things together that I found in the fridge. Sometimes ‘happy accidents’ happen! But it also means my recipes aren’t terribly focused on quantities and preciseness – more on feels and flavors (like this happy Cauli-Leek base soup!).
Good luck and don’t forget to share your versions on Insta and tag me! I’d love to see all the ways these green beans can be interpreted.
ALSO how gorgeous are these Middle Kingdom Porcelain bowls I grabbed on a trip to Portland a few years back?! I’m obsessed and use them all the time.
Best Green Beans Ever
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 large Shallot, diced
- 1 bunch Green Beans – about half a handful per person
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes, 1/4'd lengthwise
- 1/2 Lemon – rind and juice
- 2 cloves Garlic Confit, Smashed (or minced fresh garlic, smashed with the side of the knife with a touch of salt)
- 1 splash Bacon Fat
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 2 tbsp Parmesan, Grated
- 2 tbsp Toasted Bread Crumb
- Heat butter and olive oil on medium-low until bubbling slightly
- Add shallot and green beans, stir often and watch the shallots don't burn
- Once beans are softening and shallots have slightly browned, add tomatoes
- Finish until tomatoes are wilted and cooked
- Add the lemon rind and juice, smashed garlic confit and, if preferred, a tablespoon of bacon fat
- Sprinkle with salt/pepper to taste and fresh – or recently dried – thyme
- Once cooked, plate and top with parmesan and toasted panko and SERVE!
Try some of these!
- Add chopped beet tops
- Add thin sliced kale strands or bok choy
- Top with fried shallot rings
- Instead of parmesan, try fine grated cured egg yolk